Friday 26 June 2015

Right In The Feels!

You ever watch a film that punches you in the gut with emotion?  That drags you, sometimes against your will, into caring and rooting for a character that you might not have started out liking?  This has happened a few times with me but my most recent example is a good, solid film called Chappie about a robot that comes alive.
A robot given life; it's a common sci-fi troupe.  Star Wars had C3PO and R2D2, Star Trek had Data and Chappie has Chappie.  If you gets the chance to watch this film please do.  I was reluctant because the idea I had in my head of what the film was about was something completely different to what I got.  And I couldn't be happier.
Yes, some dialogue could have been tighter and the acting could have been sharper in points but for emotional blackmail of the highest order this film is gold.  By the end of the movie I was rooting for characters that I seriously disliked from the beginning and the villain is so convinced of his own righteousness that you're left a little agog at his actions. 
Instead of an already established A.I. you get to see Chappie learn how to talk, paint and interact...being led by probably some of the worst people you could think of.  A South African robot gangsta was completely unexpected for me and that seemingly ridiculous idea is superbly executed.  Humour mixed with emotional "Aww" moments topped up with threats against the characters deliver a movie experience that has me kicking myself for not going to see this in cinemas. 
Hugh Jackman running around with a gun wearing shorts had me cracking up until he pulled some shocking behaviour that left me blinking in surprise.  Dev Patel just completely owns the role of a "nerd" who is driven and committed.  Die Antwoord members Ninja and Yo-Landi are really surprisingly good as Chappie's parents (of all things) and whose characters have a nice growth arc through the film.  And just to add the delicious icing on the top of a great cast Sigourney Weaver puts in one of her trademark solid performances as the owner of the company who makes the robots! 
Funny, charming, surprising and oh so emotional I really am glad I watched this and hope to introduce it to others in the future.  The only words I could utter when the credits rolled were "That was a fucking good movie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment